2 lbs tilapia, cod, halibut or any other whitefish (cut into 1” chunks)
1 large green pepper (cut into 1” chunks)
1 large tomato (cut into 1” chunks)
1 large onion (cut into 1” chunks)
1 can pineapple chunks (with juice)
Oil (for deep frying)
¼ cup cornstarch
2 cups flour
6 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
2 cups water
Sweet and Sour Sauce
1/4 cup vinegar
1/3 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup orange juice (optional)
1/4 cup pineapple juice
1/4 cup ketchup
2 tablespoons cornstarch
- Toss fish with cornstarch in a bowl and coat well. In another bowl whisk together flour, 6 tablespoons of oil, baking powder, seasoning salt, and cayenne pepper. A little at a time, add 2 cups of water whisking until the batter has become smooth. Pour batter over the coated fish pieces and stir to coat.
- In a deep frying fry fish pieces in batches for 4 minutes or until golden brown. Drain on paper towels and keep warm in the oven.
- In a wok heat a tiny bit of oil. Stir fry green pepper and onions for 3 minutes. Remove from pan and set aside.
- To make sweet and sour sauce – In the wok mix vinegar, sugar, salt, orange juice, pineapple juice and ketchup. Bring to a boil and simmer for 10 minutes. Mix 2 tablespoons of cornstarch in 1/8 cup of juice, pour into the sauce and stir until sauce has thickened. Add tomatoes and pineapple chunks to the sauce and heat.
- In a large serving dish mix fish pieces, sauce and green pepper and onions. Serve with white rice.