These chicken balls are super tasty and quite easy to make. Mine did not actually turn out round but it still tastes great. I used chicken breast and a tiny bit of pork but you can totally omit that.
500 gm chicken breast, cut to smaller pieces
100 gm pork, optional
½ cup (125ml) icy cold water
1 Tbsp fish sauce
½ tsp salt
½ Tbsp sugar
½ Tbsp oil
2 Tbsp cornflour
1 tsp baking powder
- Mince the meat in a food processor until a paste is form. Add 5 Tbsp water (a Tbsp of water at a time) to get a smooth paste.
- In a separate cup, mix together the remaining water, fish sauce, salt, sugar, oil, cornflour and baking powder.
- Remove the chicken paste from the food processor and put in a big bowl. Pour the liquid mix to the paste and stir well slowly until the liquid is absorbed into the paste (use either your hand or a fork).
- Cover bowl with clingwrap and place in the freezer for 30 minutes.
- Boil a pot of water. Once the water has boiled, remove the pot from the heat.
- Add pepper to the paste and stir to combine. Scoop the paste onto your wet hand. Push the paste through your thumb and 2nd finger by making a fist. (Best to refer to the video below for a visual). Use a wet spoon to scoop and drop it into the hot water. To prevent the paste from sticking to your hand and spoon, wet the spoon and hand with water.
- Continue until the chicken balls form a layer in the water. Now turn on the heat but do not let it boil. Just simmer slowly without bubble....if not your chicken balls will not have 'bounce'. While cooking the chicken balls, any leftover paste should be kept in the freezer.
- Fill a big basin with icy cold water. When the chicken balls starts to float, leave for a few more seconds. (Cut one in half to see if it is cook. The inside should not be pink). Scoop out and let it cool in the cold water.
- After the chicken balls have cooled, use as required or freeze