This is my first time making this for dinner and I must say that my children loved it. Its so easy and fast to prepare.
1 lb ribeye or sirloin steak
1 medium onion, small diced
8 slices american cheese or provolone cheese
2 large hoagie rolls (the ones I used were about 10" long)
2 TBSP canola or vegetable oil
salt and pepper
garlic powder (optional)
I also added some red and green bell peppers ( cooked them till they are soft)
- If your steak was not already sliced by your butcher, place it in the freezer for about 45 minutes. Remove the steak from the freezer and use a sharp knife to cut the meat as thin as possible, making sure the cut against the grain. Set aside.
- Cut the rolls down the center and place 4 slices of cheese each in the rolls.
- Meanwhile, preheat a skillet over medium-high heat. Once the skillet is hot add the oil to the pan. Add the onions to the pan and season with salt and pepper. Saute for a few minutes until slightly caramelized.
- Keeping the pan over medium-high heat, add the steak to the pan with the onions and season well with salt and pepper and a bit of garlic powder if desired. Cook just until cooked through, this should only take a couple of minutes. You do not want to over cook the meat. Most often, cheesesteak cooks shred the meat even further while cooking it by breaking it up with your spatula.
- Immediately divide the meat and onions between the two rolls.