Baby shower cake for a dear friend. Yellow Cake with chocolate buttercream frosting and gumpaste animals
Tuesday, April 24, 2012
Wednesday, April 18, 2012
There has been a long leave of absence from me to this blog. So to make up my absences I thought of whipping up a Chiffon cake which is a favourite with my daughter. This time I made a strawberry cake.
This recipe uses pastry flour which is actually a mixture of all purpose flour and cake flour and also cornflour in the egg whites. Something different from what I used to make but the result is like eating the fluffy clouds. Its really soft and fluffy.
Source : Seasaltwithfood ( slightly modified)
Makes : 7 inch tube pan
4 egg yolk
15 gm sugar
50 ml oil
50 ml milk
1 tsp vanilla
1/4 tsp salt
1 tbsp strawberry emulco
70 gm pastry flour *
4 egg whites
80 gm sugar
8 gm corn starch
Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Use a 7 inch tube pan or 7 inch round cake pan.
In a medium glass bowl, whisk the yolks and sugar, slowly add the milk, oil, essence's and flour. Batter will be thick slightly. Set aside.
In another clean bowl, clean of any oil residues, whisk the egg whites till frothy. Slowly add the cornstarch and sugar mixture in 3 additions. Beat till egg whites are stiff and glossy.
Slowly fold in the egg whites into the yolk batter. Trying not to deflate the whites.
Pour into the ungreased tube pan. Bake for about 50 minutes and test with a skewer for doneness. Take it out of the oven and immediately turn the whole pan onto a wired rack. The cake will not fall off the pan. Once cool completely, run a knife along the edges and pull the cake off. It is now ready to be frosted or eaten as it is :)
* Pastry Flour = 1 1/3 cup flour + 2/3 cup cake flour = 2 cup pastry flour ( You wont be needing all the flour but keep in a airtight container for another use)
Friday, April 6, 2012
1 cup durian, mashed
250gm self raising flour
1 tsp vanilla
- Beat butter and sugar till pale and fluffy. Add one egg at a time. Beat well after each addition. Slowly add sifted self raising flour and vanilla essence. Beat until well blended. Pour into an 8 inch squared, lined and greased pan. Bake at 350 degrees for about 40 minutes.
Thursday, April 5, 2012
Monday, April 2, 2012
I came across this recipe awhile ago but never had the chance to make it. Today I went ahead and made some cupcakes with it for my sons school. This is the best white cake recipe out there. I think I am going to stop hunting for cake recipe and stick to this cake for my ideal white cake recipe.
Source: All Recipes
2 3/4 cups sifted cake flour
4 teaspoons baking powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
4 egg whites
1 1/2 cups white sugar
3/4 cup butter
1 cup milk ( can add little more up to 1/4 cup if the batter if too thick)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon almond extract, optional but I used it
- Measure sifted flour, baking powder, and salt; sift together three times.
- Cream butter or margarine. Gradually add remaining 1 cup sugar, and cream together until light and fluffy. Add sifted ingredients alternately with milk a small amount at a time, beating after each addition until smooth. Mix in flavorings.
- In a another clean mixing bowl, beat egg whites until foamy. Add 1/2 cup sugar gradually, and continue beating only until meringue will hold up in soft peaks.
- Add meringue, and beat thoroughly into batter. Spread batter in a 15 x 10 x 1 inch pan which has been lined on the bottom with parchment paper.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 30 to 35 minutes. Cool cake in pan 10 minutes, then remove from pan and transfer to a wire rack to finish cooling. This cake may also be baked in two 9 inch round pans for 30 to 35 minutes, or in three 8 inch round pans for 25 to 30 minutes.