Made this for a friend. Its a orange chiffon with whipped cream frosting.
4 Large Egg Yolks
15 g Sugar
50 ml Canola or Corn Oil
50 ml Freshly Squeezed Orange Juice
1 tsp Vanilla Extract
70 g Pastry Flour, sifted
Zest of 2 Oranges
8 g Corn Flour/Starch
4 Large Egg Whites
( 7 inch tube pan or 6 inch round )
- Preheat the oven to 325˚F.
- Place the egg yolks and sugar in a large bowl, and beat well. Add oil, orange juice, and vanilla extract and stir to incorporate with a whisk. Add flour and orange zest; mix well, until the batter becomes sticky.
- Make the meringue: Combine sugar and corn flour. Beat the egg whites until foamy. Add half the sugar and continue beating for a few minutes, then add remaining sugar and beat until egg whites are glossy and stiff peaks form.
- Add one-third of meringue into the egg yolk mixture and fold in lightly, then add remaining meringue and fold to incorporate completely.
- Pour batter into an ungreased tube pan. Bake for 50 to 55 minutes. When cake is done, remove from the oven and turn it over, leaving it to cool for about an hour. Once the cake is cool completely, carefully run a knife or spatula around the sides of the cake to loosen it before inverting onto a wire rack.
- Decorate with whipped frosting