I came across this recipe awhile ago but never had the chance to make it. Today I went ahead and made some cupcakes with it for my sons school. This is the best white cake recipe out there. I think I am going to stop hunting for cake recipe and stick to this cake for my ideal white cake recipe.
Source: All Recipes
2 3/4 cups sifted cake flour
4 teaspoons baking powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
4 egg whites
1 1/2 cups white sugar
3/4 cup butter
1 cup milk ( can add little more up to 1/4 cup if the batter if too thick)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon almond extract, optional but I used it
- Measure sifted flour, baking powder, and salt; sift together three times.
- Cream butter or margarine. Gradually add remaining 1 cup sugar, and cream together until light and fluffy. Add sifted ingredients alternately with milk a small amount at a time, beating after each addition until smooth. Mix in flavorings.
- In a another clean mixing bowl, beat egg whites until foamy. Add 1/2 cup sugar gradually, and continue beating only until meringue will hold up in soft peaks.
- Add meringue, and beat thoroughly into batter. Spread batter in a 15 x 10 x 1 inch pan which has been lined on the bottom with parchment paper.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 30 to 35 minutes. Cool cake in pan 10 minutes, then remove from pan and transfer to a wire rack to finish cooling. This cake may also be baked in two 9 inch round pans for 30 to 35 minutes, or in three 8 inch round pans for 25 to 30 minutes.