Chai tea cupcake......I was little skeptical with it but went on to do it anyway because I just love to indulge in a cup of tea in the afternoon. This is wonderful cupcake which has all the elements of a chai tea and also the frosting is made with condensed milk which is really smooth and tasty.
(makes 12 cupcakes)
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon ground cloves
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cardamon
1 1/2 cups cake flour
1 1/4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup whole milk
1 chai tea bag
- Place 1/2 cup whole milk in a small saucepan with 1 chai tea bag. Brew, stirring occasionally, until just before it starts to simmer. Remove from heat, let cool completely to room temperature, and remove tea bag before using in the recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350F and line a muffin tin with cupcake liners.
- Sift the flour, baking powder, and salt together in a medium bowl. Stir in the all the spice mixture.
- Cream the butter and sugar together in a stand mixer with paddle attachment on medium speed until soft and creamy.
- Add in egg one at a time, beating thoroughly after each addition to combine before adding the next.
- Add in the flour mixture and chai milk mixture on three alternating additions, starting and ending with the flour mixture. Beat just to combine each addition before adding the next.
- With an ice cream scoop, fill each cupcake liner about 3/4 full. Bake for 15 to 18 minutes. Let cupcakes cool before decorating.
4 tbsp (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature)
1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons sweetened condensed milk (7 ounces)
Pinch of coarse salt
3/4 cup confectioners' sugar, sifted
With an electric mixer on medium-high speed, whisk together butter, condensed milk, and salt until smooth. Whisk in confectioners' sugar, 1/4 cup at a time, until combined, then whisk on high speed until thick and smooth. Use immediately.