Thursday, February 24, 2011

Lasagna with spinach

I just love lasagna but not the guys in my family so I tried making a simple version of it by doing the same procedure of the regular lasagna but instead of layering them, I just rolled each one individually.  So I got to make a few just for me and my daughter to enjoy.





Ingredients

11 sheets of lasagna noodles ( cooked as per direction on the box)

Filling


1lb ground meat ( beef, turkey, sausage)
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp dried oregano
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1 container ricotta cheese ( 15oz)
Frozen spinach, thawed and squeezed ( 10 oz)
Shredded mozarella cheese ( 2 cups)-reserve about 1/4 cup for later use
Parmesan cheese ( 1/4 cup)
Eggs (2)-lightly beaten
Pasta sauce ( 1 jar / 26 oz)
Salt to taste

Method

  • In a large pot, bring water to rapid boil. Add salt to flavor the pasta and reduce stickiness.  Add pasta and let cook for 10 minutes. Drain well and lay it on a wax paper or aluminium foil individually to keep from sticking.
  • In a large bowl, combine ricotta, mozarella, parmesan, spinach, onion powder, garlic powder, nutmeg and lightly beaten eggs. Stir well to combine.
  • In a pan, cook the ground meat and drain out the fat.  Add in the marinara sauce. Stir well. Take it off the heat.
  • Take about 2 heaped tablespoon of the filling and put on the lasagna noodles.  Roll them.  Pour about 1 cup of meat sauce mixture on a 13 x 9 in a baking dish and layer the lasagna rolls in it. Top it with the rest of the sauce mixture and sprinkle some reserved mozarella.
  • Bake for about 35 minutes till the sauce is bubbling and the cheese melted.
Hope you will enjoy this dish as much as I did. Hmmm I shall not mention about the damage it is going to do to my waistline. 



No comments:

Post a Comment