There are 2 versions of this radish cake, one white without the dark soy sauce but mine is with the dark sauce. I just did not add a lot of dark soy sauce. This is actually my first try in making the radish cake from scratch and it was really easy. This meal can be done in many ways. The original form is just using preserved radish and egg as the main ingredient but you can also add shrimp, beansprouts and chili paste for spice. Well, I am glad with how it turned out. I really enjoyed making the radish cake and I am so happy to learn another new dish....yay!
700 gm shredded radish/daicon + 50 ml water
150 gm rice flour
250 ml water
1/4 tsp salt
Over low flame, steam the grated radish and water for 30 minutes. Take it out and allow it to cool a bit.
Meanwhile mix the rice flour, water and salt. Add the mixture to the radish. The mixture should resemble like a coleslaw. Steam for another 40 minutes. Let it cool completely (best leave it in a refrigerator overnight) It will be easier to handle so that it does not stick to the knife when cutting to cubes.
Frying the radish cake
(Use half of the steamed cake-it should be enough for 2 person)
1-2 tbsp preserved radish/turnip
2-3 eggs lightly beaten
3 cloves garlic-minced
About 2 tsp fish sauce (optional)
3 tbsp oil
dash of white pepper
Chili paste/sambal oelek (optional)
About 1 tbsp dark soy sauce ( add more if need it to be darker)
3 stalks chopped spring onion
- Cut up the steamed radish into small chunk. The smaller its better since it will crisp up better. The final taste is the charred crispy crumbs.
- In a wok, heat oil and fry the cubed radish cake till lightly browned on all sides
- Add minced garlic and preserved radish
- Add fish sauce, pepper and chili paste. Stir well to coat with the radish.
- Pour beaten egg all over the radish cake. Allow the egg to set before flipping over. Its okay if it breaks up when flipping it over. At this point you can take it out and serve with spring onion if its the white version or just add the black/dark soy sauce if you want it to be dark.
- Dish up and sprinkle the spring onion liberally.
|Will make it a little darker the next time.....|