Samosas are perhaps the most popular vegetarian (usually) Indian appetizer. It is similar to pastry such as fried empanada with spicy boiled potato stuffing inside crispy flour dough served with spicy chutney. A popular non-vegetarian variant of this classic dish would have spicy ground meat (usually lamb) instead or along with potatoes. If you have trouble with making the pastry, it can easily be substituted with phylo dough.
Ingredients for Filling
2 medium potato
1/2 cup peas
1 tsp ginger garlic paste
1 green chili. seeded and cubed small
1.2 tsp garam masala
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp cumin powder
1/4 tsp coriander powder
1/2 tsp mustard seed
1 tbsp chopped coriander leaf
- Boil, cool and peel the potatoes. Dice it into 1/4 inch size.
- Heat 4 tablespoons oil in wok in medium flame.
- Lower the heat and carefully put the mustard seed and onion. Stir fry until golden brown in medium heat.
- Add peas, ginger, green chili, and fresh coriander (cilantro). Add diced potatoes, peas, salt and all spices.
- Mix and cook on low heat for 3-4 minutes. Do not forget to stir while cooking. Dish out and let cool.
Ingredients for Pastry
1/2 cup flour
1/4 tsp salt
1 tbsp + 1 tsp vegetable oil
1/4 cup lukewarm water
In a bowl, combine the flour, salt, oil and half the water. Stir with fingers till all comes together. If dough seems dry add couple of tablespoon and knead till dough is smooth. Set aside for about 15 minutes.
Divide dough to 4 equal size.
Roll it into flat round shape with about 5 inch diameter.
Cut it into half. Make the half into a cone by sticking seam together with a little water.
Fill the cone with about 2 teaspoon of the potato mixture.
Stick the top of the cone together with a little water. The seam should be about 1/4 inch (5 mm) wide.
Repeat this again and you should end up having 8 samosa.
- Heat about 2 inches of oil for deep frying over a medium-low flame. You may use a wok or any other utensil.
- When the oil is hot, carefully put in as many samosas as it fits. Fry slowly, turning the samosas until they are golden brown and crisp.
- Drain excess oil and serve hot.