Sunday, September 4, 2011

Chocolate Souffle

It rose up really well but I forgot to take the picture immediately so by the time I took it  sank a bit..:(
I have baked many chiffon cakes that needs the egg whites to be beaten seperately but when it comes to souffle I have always dreaded it.  Today I made up my mind of go ahead and try this wonderful chocolate souffle which only uses 1 egg white and serves 2 people.  I am truly happy to find this recipe which have overcomed my fear of baking souffle.

These airy chocolate cakes puff up nicely in ramekins. To serve four, use five teaspoons flour and double the remaining ingredients. (Doubling the flour would make the base too heavy.)


Source: My recipes

Ingredients


Cooking spray
4 1/2 tablespoons granulated sugar, divided
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
1 1/2 tablespoons Dutch process cocoa
2 tablespoons fat-free milk
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 large egg white
1 teaspoon powdered sugar

Method 

  • Preheat oven to 350°.
  • Coat 2 (6-ounce) ramekins with cooking spray; sprinkle each with 3/4 teaspoon granulated sugar.
  • Combine 2 tablespoons granulated sugar, flour, cocoa, and milk in a small saucepan over medium heat. Cook 2 minutes, stirring until smooth. Spoon chocolate mixture into a medium bowl; cool 4 minutes. Stir in vanilla.
  • Place egg white in a medium bowl; beat with a mixer at high speed until soft peaks form. Add remaining 2 tablespoons granulated sugar, 1 teaspoon at a time, beating until stiff peaks form (do not overbeat). Gently stir 1/4 of egg white mixture into chocolate mixture; gently fold in remaining egg white mixture. Spoon mixture into prepared dishes. Sharply tap dishes 2 or 3 times to level. Place dishes on a baking sheet; bake at 350° for 15 minutes or until puffy and set. Sprinkle each soufflé with 1/2 teaspoon powdered sugar. Serve immediately.
Note:  I topped my souffle with some white chocolate chips before baking and this did not affect the souffle.



No comments:

Post a Comment