One bite of these delicious S'more Granola Bars and you will be hooked. They contain all the necessary S'more components - chocolate, marshmallows, and graham crackers. But instead of sandwiching the chocolate and marshmallows between two graham crackers, I sandwich them between a yummy mixture of graham cracker crumbs, rolled oats, flour, coconut, ground cinnamon butter sugar, and maple syrup (or golden syrup). To keep these bars soft and chewy make sure to bake them only until lightly browned. Cut the granola bars into rectangles or squares while they are still warm. The S'More Granola Bars will be crisp and crunchy just after baking, but will soften when covered and stored. They can be stored at room temperature for about 10 days, if they last that long.
6 tablespoons (3 ounces) (84 grams) unsalted butter, cut into pieces
1/4 cup (55 grams) light brown sugar
1/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup/honey
1/2 cup (65 grams) all purpose flour
2 cups (190 grams) old fashioned rolled oats
1 cup (100 grams) graham cracker crumbs (or crushed digestive biscuits)
1/4 cup (25 grams) sweetened or unsweetened coconut (optional)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 cup (170 grams) semisweet or bittersweet chocolate chips
1 1/2 cups (90 grams) mini marshmallows
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C) and place the rack in the center of the oven. Butter (or use a non stick vegetable cooking spray) a 9 x 9 inch (23 x 23 cm) square baking pan.
- Melt the butter, brown sugar, and maple syrup (golden syrup) in a medium sized saucepan, placed over medium heat. Once the sugar has dissolved remove the saucepan from the heat and transfer the mixture to a large heatproof bowl.
- Stir in the flour, oats, graham cracker crumbs, coconut, salt and ground cinnamon, making sure all the dry ingredients are coated with the butter mixture.
- Press about half of this mixture onto the bottom of the prepared pan and leave to cool (about 5-10 minutes). Once the mixture has cooled sufficiently, evenly sprinkle with the chocolate chips and marshmallows. Top with the remaining crust mixture.
- Bake in the preheated oven for about15 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool for about 20 minutes. Cut into squares while they are still warm.
- Can be stored at room temperature for about 7-10 days.