Friday, March 4, 2011

Bacon and Egg tart

As how everyone feels, I am so afraid when it comes to pastry. You have to handle it with such care avoiding to overwork the dough but knowing me, always wanting to overcome my fear, went ahead in making the pastry and I must say I am glad that I did it. I made the mini tart with eggs, bacon and chives.  It was a hit at first try.

My tarts are not golden brown as I did not have the patience to
wait but to take it out and  try them ...yummy!! Well, it tasted almost like a quiche.

Ingredients

185gm flour
1 tsp baking powder
125g cold butter, cubed
85ml - 100ml milk mix with 1 tsp vinegar

2 tbsp chopped chives
2 tbsp bacon bits
dehydrated tomatoes (optional)
4 eggs
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
100ml heavy cream
200ml milk
salt and pepper

Method

Sift flour and baking powder. In a food processor, pulse butter and flour together till it resembles breadcrumbs.  Slowly drizzle the milk and pulse mix till it comes together and is just moist enough to form a stiff dough.  This will only take couple of seconds.  (You might not use all the milk)
Transfer the mixture to a plastic wrap. Gather the wrap around the dough and flatten the dough to form a square. Do not knead the dough.
Leave dough in the fridge for 30 minutes or overnight.  This makes the dough easier to handle.
Divide the dough into 2 and roll out as required.  I used 20 mini tart tins for this recipe.

Topping

  • Beat the eggs, milk and cream. Add the salt, garlic powder and pepper ( do not add too much salt as the bacon bits are already salty) 
  • Mix in the chives, bacon and dehydrated tomato.
  •  Pour into the tart mould. Be careful not to overfill the pans as the egg mixture will overflow and makes it hard to unmould the tart. 
  • Bake in preheated oven 350 degrees for about 20 minutes or until the pastry is golden brown and the filling set.

No comments:

Post a Comment