12 lasagna noodles (about 3/4 pound)
2 teaspoons olive oil
12 ounces portobello mushrooms, chopped, optional
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 (15-ounce) container part-skim ricotta cheese
1 (10-ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed
1 egg, lightly beaten
Freshly ground black pepper
Pinch ground nutmeg
1/2 tsp italian seasoning
1/4 cup grated Parmesan
3 ounces grated part-skim mozzarella cheese (about 2/3 cup)
4 cups Easy Tomato Sauce, recipe follows, or store bought marinara sauce
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Cook the noodles al dente according to the directions on the package. Drain them well and spread them out onto aluminum foil or waxed paper to prevent them from sticking.
- Heat the oil in a large saute pan over medium-high heat. Add the mushrooms and cook, stirring occasionally, until browned and all the liquid has evaporated, about 5 minutes. Season with 1/4 teaspoon of salt. Stir in 1 1/2 cups of the tomato sauce and simmer for 2 minutes.
- In a medium bowl combine the ricotta cheese, spinach, egg, the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt, italian seasoning, a few turns of pepper, and nutmeg.
- Spread 1 cup of tomato sauce on the bottom of a dish by 12-inch baking dish. Spread about 2 tablespoons of the ricotta mixture onto a lasagna noodle. Top with about 1 1/2 tablespoons of the mushroom mixture, roll the noodle and place it into the baking dish. Repeat with the remaining noodles. Spread the remaining 1 1/2 cups of sauce over the lasagna rolls. Top with grated cheeses, cover loosely with foil, and bake for 45 minutes. Uncover and bake for 15 minutes more.
1 tablespoons olive oil
1 medium onion, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
vegetarian meat crumbles, 1/4 cup
2 (28-ounce) cans whole tomatoes, drained, tomatoes chopped
3 tablespoons tomato paste
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 bay leaf
Salt and pepper
In a large pot, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft, about 5 minutes. add the vegetarian meat crumbles and let it cook for a minute or two. Then add the garlic and cook for 2 minutes longer. Add the remaining ingredients and cook, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until thickened, about 30 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.