This time around I made this dish using quinoa with an Indian twist. I added coconut to give it some richness. I have also added peanut and cashewnut to give an extra bite.
1 1/2 cups quinoa, thoroughly rinsed in a strainer, under running water
2 1/4 cup water
1 cup shredded coconut
10-12 cashews, chopped into pieces
1 tbsp chana dal
1 tbsp urad dal
A generous pinch of asafetida (hing)
2 tsp mustard seeds
1 sprig curry leaves
2 green chilies, slit through the middle
1 tsp vegetable oil, like canola
All the measurement above can be reduced according to your need.
- Place the quinoa and water in a saucepan. Cook over medium heat until most of the water is absorbed. Then slap on a lid, lower the heat to a simmer, and cook another 15 minutes.
- In a larger saucepan, heat the oil. Add the mustard seeds and asafetida. When they sputter, add the curry leaves, the dals, the nuts, and the green chilies.
- Stir-fry until the nuts and dals are lightly golden-brown.
- Add the coconut and quickly stir-fry until it takes on a golden color. You don't want to leave the coconut unattended because it will burn fast.
- Dish out and garnish with cilantro.