This bread is another take on my chocolate swirl bread but this time I am using the Hokkaido Milky loaf recipe for this with slight changes. The bread is really soft and fluffy with a hint of strawberry in between the swirl. The only thing was to carefully put the strawberry layer on top of the white layer and to roll and fold without having the strawberry filling ooze out.
This is indeed a very interesting bread...each slice has got slightly different swirls...and the exciting thing is, you won't know how the marbling effect will be until you slice the loaf.
20g cake flour
1 egg white
80ml milk (warmed)
Strawberry Emulco and few drop of red food coloring
270g bread flour
30g cake flour
5g active dry yeast
15g milk powder
40g caster sugar
4.5g (3/4 teaspoon) salt
125g fresh milk
75g whipping cream ( I noticed that my whipping cream had curdled....so I had to substitute with regular whole milk + 2 tbsp butter)
Making the strawberry sheet
Mix sugar and cake flour into the egg white until smooth.
Place milk in a saucepan and heat till just simmering.
Add egg white mixture into the milk and stir over low fire till mixture thickens and form a thick lump.
Add in butter and stir till incorporated.
Leave to cool. Place in a plastic bag and roll into a square (about 14cm x 14cm). Keep refrigerated before use.
- Place all ingredients in the bread pan of the bread machine, according to the sequence stated in the instructions of your bread machine. Select the Dough function to knead and proof the dough (about 1hr 30mins).
- Take out the dough and punch out the gas produced. Roll out the dough into a rectangle (about 45cm x 20cm) on a lightly floured work surface. Place the strawberry sheet on the middle of the dough. Wrap both ends of the dough over to cover the strawberry sheet completely. Take note that the dough should be rolled long enough for both sides to fold over the strawberry sheet, leaving a border edge of about one inch. Seal the edges tightly. The dough should now be about 15cm x 20cm.
- Roll dough from centre to the edges to form a rectangle (about 45cm x 20cm). Do this gently to prevent the strawberry paste from oozing out. Fold the dough into 3 folds.
- Repeat step 3 above. (If you want to create more swirls, repeat this step twice.)
- Finally, roll dough to 30cm x 15cm. Make a cut in the middle (length wise) leaving an inch uncut. Twist and plait. Place plaited dough in loaf pan and let proof for another 30mins or until the dough rise to about 80% of the loaf pan.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees for about 35 - 40 minutes. Remove from oven and unmould immediately. Let the loaf cool off before slicing.