I have always loved marble cakes. They just catch our eyes whenever we slice into them. This bread looks complicated but its that easy. I do not know how to categorize this.. the name says its a bread but to me its texture is just like a cake. No matter how you call it, its such a wonderful addition for tea time.
4 ounces (115 grams) semisweet or bittersweet chocolate, chopped
1/2 cup (120 ml) milk, divided
1 1/2 cups (195 grams) all purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup (60 ml) sour cream or plain yogurt
1/2 cup (113 grams) unsalted butter, room temperature
3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons (170 grams) granulated white sugar
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F (160 degrees C) and place rack in the center of the oven. Butter and lightly flour a 9 by 5 x 3 inch (23 x 13 x 8 cm) loaf pan. Line the bottom of the pan with parchment paper.
- Melt the chocolate, along with 1/4 cup (60 ml) of the milk, in a stainless steel bowl that has been placed over a saucepan of simmering water. Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the flour with the baking powder and salt.
- In a small bowl whisk the sour cream with the remaining 1/4 cup (60 ml) milk, and the vanilla extract.
- In your electric mixer, or with a hand mixer, beat the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, until well combined. Scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed.With the mixer on low speed, alternately add the flour mixture and sour cream/milk mixture, in three additions, beginning and ending with the flour spoon half of the batter into a separate bowl. Add the melted chocolate mixture to one half of the batter and fold in.
- With two spoons, place spoonfuls of the two mixtures into the prepared loaf pan alternately (chocolate, white, chocolate, etc.). Run a wooden skewer or knife through the two batters to achieve a marbled effect. (Don't over mix or you won't have that wonderful marble affect.)Bake in preheated oven for about 50 - 55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and place on a wire rack to cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan. Cool completely.