Sunday, June 19, 2011

Tiramisu Swiss Roll



This is not your usual tiramisu cake.  This time I tried making a swiss roll with mascarpone filling and also flavored with marsala wine.  My hubby loves tiramisu and I thought this would make a perfect dessert. I am happy with how it turned out. This recipe actually does not use oil at all.  I was little skeptical at first when I saw that the yolks are whipped with water but I was glad it turned out great.

Ingredients

4 egg yolk
4 egg white
4 tbsp water
125gm sugar
1/4 tsp salt
75 gm flour
50gm cornstarch
1 tbsp baking powder
4 tsp cocoa powder

Filling

2 tbsp gelatin
6 tbsp water
90gm powdered sugar
2 1/2 tsp vanilla
3 tbsp marsala wine/ amaretto
8 oz mascarpone
7 oz heavy cream

( I halved the recipe for the filling and it was just nice.  Probably the next time I wont be using the gelatin; I am not a big fan of it)

2 tbsp coffee plus 2 tbsp hot water

Method

In a clean bowl, add the egg yolk and water.  Whip in high speed till white and fluffy.
Add sugar and whip again.  Set aside.
In another bowl, whip the egg whites and salt till stiff peaks form.  Add some whites into the yolk mixture and fold slowly, gradually add the rest of the whites into the yolk mixture.  Fold gently till eveything is mixed.  Sift the dry ingredients into the egg mixture.  Fold in slowly with a large spatula.
Bake for about 9 minutes, check with a toothpick.  Switch off the oven and let the cake stand inside the oven for another 1 minute.  Remove and turn over onto a damp kitchen cloth.  ( I know this sound ridiculous.  I have attached a video, and its pretty cool how she does it) Please click here. Roll it carefully and set aside to cool down.

Now to prepare the filling -  In a small saucepan, add the gelatin and water.  Let sit till the gelatin looks spongy.  Warm up slightly in stovetop. Switch off the stove and set aside.
Whip the heavy cream and powdered sugar.  Add the marsala wine and mascarpone cheese.  Add the cooled gelatin and beat well to mix in everything.  

Unroll the cake and brush the coffee on top, do not flood it. Spread  the filling leaving about 1 inch below.  Slowly roll the swiss roll without the kitchen towel tightly.  Use a cling wrap to secure the roll.  Refrigerate the rolls for about 30 minutes.  Garnish with cocoa powder or whipped cream.



No comments:

Post a Comment