I try to cook fish at least once a week. Usually I make curry with king fish or spanish mackerel. But right now I only have salmon and oh boy dinner is sneaking up on me. I needed to think fast and came upon this recipe and it sounded yummy. I also had all the ingredients on hand. My family really loved it and I think this is a nice recipe to keep and will certainly do it often.
2 - (15 oz) salmon strips cut into cubes.(you can also use frozen ones)
3 cloves of garlic finely chopped
a thumbsize ginger, finely chopped
1 onion finely chopped
1/2 cup of tomato paste
1/4 cup of tomato sauce
1/2 tsp turmeric power
1 tsp red chilli powder
1 green chili, optional
1/2 tsp coriander powder
1 tsp whole peppers
1/2 tsp fenugreek seeds(optional)
1/2 tsp fennel seeds/powder(optional)
- Take 2 tbsp of olive oil in a flat bottom vessel.
- Add the curry leaves, whole pepper, fenugreek and the fennel seeds when the oil is hot.
- Add the chopped garlic, ginger and onions and fry till the onion turns translucent.
- Now add the tomato paste,tomato sauce, turmeric powder, coriander powder , chilli power and salt.
- Add half cup of water and mix well.Close with a lid and allow it to boil for 10 mins in a medium flame.
- After the raw smell o the tomato paste disappears, add the salmon pieces , gently give it stir, reduce the flame to low , cover and cook for 10 more mins.
- The gravy should be thick. So cooking in the low flame after adding the fish is a must to avoid burning. Adjust the salt and spice to your taste, before adding the fish.