This is my first time trying Kale. I have heard a lot about it and how healthy it is. Quinoa I have done quite a bit of cooking with it and I think its nice, no taste to it but even after cooking it has a little bite. For a cold winter or just as a comfort food..this is it. The kale has some crisp to it even after cooking but paired with tomatoes, white bean and quinoa, they are so yummilicious. I can be a vegetarian just by eating soup...
2 tsp olive oil
1/2 cup onion, diced
1 cup carrots, diced
6 sprigs fresh thyme or dried thyme
1/8 tsp crushed red pepper
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 tsp oregano
1 – 14.5oz. can diced tomatoes
1/2 can tomato soup
4 cups vegetable broth
1/4 cup dry rainbow quinoa, washed
1 – 14.5oz. can white beans, drained & rinsed
1 bunch kale, roughly 3 packed cups ( you can keep half if its too much in a ziplock)
Salt and pepper to taste
I love mushroom so I add mushrooms too :)
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium high heat. When hot, but not smoking, add onion, carrots. Stir to coat and cook for about 8 minutes, until tender. Add thyme, crushed red pepper, garlic and oregano and cook for another minute.
- Add diced tomatoes, tomato soup and chicken stock. Bring to a boil, stir and reduce heat to simmer for 25 minutes.
- Add the uncooked quinoa, bring heat to a low boil again. Cook for 10-15 minutes, until quinoa is tender and transparent. Now add the canned white bean.
- Add kale and stir to wilt. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve with a baguette or any toasted bread