Lor Bak is slivers of pork lightly seasoned with five spice powder and rolled up in beancurd sheet, and then deep-fried. There are also bits of Jicama ( Sengkuang), shallots and spring onions in the rolls. Everyone has a variation of this recipe. The most important thing is that the meat has to be tender and tasty. This time around since I decided to make it without any planning ahead, I just used ground pork and it turned out as delicious. Also I made a special dip to go along with it. Make sure to make the dip if you are going to do this Lor Bak.
Source: The Hungry Caterpillar (with own modifications)
1 lb of pork, ask the butcher for a tender cut ( I used ground pork)
1 tsp of five spice powder
1 medium Jicama, optional
2 stalks of spring onion
1 clove garlic, minced
Thumbsize ginger, pound and squeeze juice
2 tbsp oyster sauce
3 tbsp tapioca flour
salt, white pepper and sugar, according to taste
Cooking oil for deep frying
- Cut the pork into slivers. Marinate with the five spice powder and a teaspoon of salt and white pepper. Mix together and leave aside.
- Peel the jicama and carrot. Cut the jicama, carrot and spring onion into matchsticks. Dice the onions and mince the garlic. Squeeze the ginger to get about 1 tsp of juice.
- In a mixing bowl. put the the pork with the sengkuang, carrot, spring onion onion, onions and mix well.
- Then, add the egg, oyster sauce, tapioca flour and seasoning. Mix well.
- Cut the beancurd sheet into long sheets with a width of 12cm. Place the filling at the end of the sheet, and roll it tightly. Roll it only once so that it’s only wrapped in a layer of the sheet.
- Heat the cooking oil, and deep fry the rolls till golden brown. These rolls are usually served with the dipping sauce and cubed cucumbers.
2 tbsp dark soy-sauce
a pinch of Chinese 5-spice powder
2 tbsp sugar
salt , to taste
4-5 tbsp water
½ tsp cornstarch
1 egg white, lightly beaten
In a small pot, combine all ingredients [except egg white], over low heat, bring to a slow simmer
Simmer 1-2 mins stirring occasionally till sauce is smooth
Add egg white, stir with fork, forming fine white streaks in the sauce
Remove from heat, serve at room temperature .