Saturday, October 10, 2015

Vietnamese Pork and Egg with rice



I am not a big fan of pork and I rarely cook them.  When my cousin sent me the picture of this dish that she made and told me how delicious it was, I could not resist making it.  Hoping and praying that my family will like it too.

When I first marinated the pork in fish sauce, the house started to smell fishy and funky.  My kids were asking me what the yucky smell was !  I was even more skeptical to try this but went ahead anyways.  The verdict - YUMMY !


Ingredients

Pork steak
Ground pepper
3 tbs vegetable oil
4 eggs
2 tomatoes, sliced
1 cucumber, sliced

Marinade:

3 tbsp fish  sauce
1 tbsp white sugar
1/4 tsp tumeric
2 garlic cloves, finely grated

Dressing:

3 tbsp white sugar
3 tbsp fish sauce
2 tbsp white vinegar
2 garlic  cloves, finely chopped
1 long red chilli, de-seeded, finely chopped
2 tbsp lime juice





Method:


  • In a large bowl, whisk together the marinade ingredients. 
  • Lay the pork on a chopping board and cover with baking paper and pound the steaks until they are .5cm thick
  • Place the pork in the marinade and toss to coat.

  • To make the dressing, heat the sugar, fish sauce, vinegar over high heat. for 2-3 min. Stir the garlic, chili, and lime juice. Set aside. 

  • Heat 1 tbsp of oil in a large non-stick frying pan and cook the pork 3-5 min on each side in batches until thoroughly cooked. Remove from heat and rest.
  • While pork is resting,  heat the remaining 2 tbsp of oil and fry the eggs to your liking.
  • Serve with rice, pork, fried egg, tomatoes and cucumber.. top it off with generous spoonfuls of the dressing.


No comments:

Post a Comment