Well, since Halloween is round the corner
and I see pumpkins everywhere, I thought of making this wonderful pumpkin muffin but what is more interesting about this is...it's also healthy.
This is my very first time using Bran flakes. I never actually thought of incorporating it in muffins let alone bread. I must say this is an interesting find.
The muffins were soft and moist with a little hint of pumpkin spice and nutmeg.
1 cup oat bran
1/2 cup milk
1 cup all purpose flour
2/3 cup packed brown sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 cup pumpkin
3 tablespoons canola oil
1 teaspoon vanilla
Optional, Flax Seed ( I used about 1 tbsp )
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line muffin tins with paper liners and set aside.
- Measure bran flakes into a liquid measuring cup. Pour milk over top and stir to soak all evenly. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, measure flour, brown sugar, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg. Stir together to combine. Create well in the center of the dry ingredients and measure out the wet ingredients into the dry. Stir the wet ingredients together to break up the egg. Then add in the milk soaked bran flakes. Slowly incorporate the wet into the dry until the batter comes together. Scoop into prepared muffin tins and bake 20 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean after being inserted.
- Remove to cooling rack and make the glaze.
The bran makes it nuttier and I guess soft and moist, We kept for 2 days and it was still soft.