I just baking so much that I sometimes make random cakes for friends. It was such a delight to have two of my friends to come over for a day out and I made this for dessert. This cake takes a little extra time to make because the eggs need to be separated and folded in carefully which makes this yellow cake on the slight fluffy side but not too fluffy as a chiffon. This is a very nice cake for birthdays and special occasion.
Source: Make Fabulous Cakes
2 1/4 cups cake flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup butter
2 cups sugar
4 egg yolks
2 tsp vanilla
1 cup milk
4 egg whites
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees; and line and grease two 9" round or one 12" cake pans.
- Sift cake flour, baking powder and salt.
- In another bowl with a mixer, cream butter and sugar together for about 2 minutes. Add egg yolks one at a time, mixing it in after addition of each. Add in the vanilla.
- Stir the flour mixture alternately with milk, beginning and ending with the flour mixture. Scrape down the sides and beat for another minute.
- Beat the egg whites in another bowl until soft to medium peaks. Make sure bowl and whisk are clean and grease free. Fold half the egg whites to the batter. Then fold in the rest of the egg whites.
- Pour batter in prepared cake pans and bake for approx. 45 minutes. The cake is ready when an inserted wooden skewer or cake tester comes out clean or when cake springs back when lightly pressed with a finger.
- Let the cake cool in pans for about 10 minutes. Loosen the sides with a knife or metal spatula and invert to a metal rack. Invert again to another rack to prevent the cake from splitting. Decorate with buttercream frosting.