This is a new recipe that I made for this cutout cookie. The dough is so flavorful with lemon zest and lemon juice and the baking powder makes the cookie a little soft but firm enough for cutout. The cookies are refrigerated for a while before baking to minimize it from spreading.
I made these cookies for my son's preschool. They loved the texture and flavor of the cookie. I also used a new recipe for my royal icing and it uses light corn syrup. The icing itself was really beautiful and I think the corn syrup help add some shine to it.
3 cups flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 stick room temperature butter
1 cup sugar
1 egg, room temperature
1/2 tsp lemon juice
1/2 tsp vanilla essence
3/4 tsp lemon zest
- In a bowl. beat the butter and sugar till slightly fluffy, taking care not to overbeat. Add the egg, vanilla, lemon juice and zest. Beat just until everything combines well. Add slowly the sifted flour, baking powder and salt. Mix with a spoon or spatula.
- Sprinkle some flour on the counter and roll the dough. Cut with desired cookie cutter. Place the cookies on a parchment lined cookie sheet. Place the sheet in the refrigerator for about 20 minutes till firm slightly.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Bake the cookies for about 10 -12 minutes. Once it finish baking, take it out and place the cookies on a cooling rack.
- Decorate as desired with royal icing.
1 lb confectioner/powdered sugar
Scant 1/2 cup water
pinch of salt
4 tbsp meringue powder
1/2 tsp light corn syrup
1 tsp fresh lemon juice
- Combine the meringue powder and water. With the paddle attachment of an electric mixer, beat until combined and foamy.
- Sift in the powdered sugar and beat on low to combine.
- Add in the corn syrup and lemon juice
- Increase speed to med-high and beat for about 5-10 minutes, just until the icing is glossy and stiff peaks form. (You should be able to remove the beater from the mixer and hold up and jiggle without the peak falling.) Do not overbeat.
- Use as necessary to decorate.