I am in the mood of making ice cream. Its such a treat to make your own ice cream and knowing that you can control the ingredients that go inside. My hubby bought me an ice cream maker this weekend and so far I have made 2 types of ice cream.
Homemade ice cream is made out of 4 basic ingredient....milk, egg, cream and sugar. How healthy and fattening your ice cream is depend on the type of milk used and how much sugar or cream added in. This ice cream is not the creamiest like the one in the store but surely is healthier version and can be enjoyed with less guilt.
Source: Redneck Waitakere
375ml low fat milk
1-2 vanilla bean
250 ml cream
2 Tbsp vodka, optional
|I added some chopped chocolate for the kids...|
- Pour milk and sugar into a saucepan. Using a sharp knife, split the vanilla beans in half lengthways. Scrape out the seeds and add the pod and seeds into the milk. Heat on medium-low to a simmer point (do not allow to simmer).
- In another container whisk the eggs. Gently whisk the hot milk into the egg mixture to temper it.
- Return the entire mixture and half the cream into the saucepan and heat on medium-low heat until custard consistency stirring all the time (5 minutes).
- Remove custard from the heat. Lightly whip the remaining cream and add to the custard.
- Add vodka. Stir well to combine. Remove vanilla pods and strain.
- Cover the top of the mix with a cling wrap to prevent a skin from forming.
- Refrigerate overnight to let the flavor develop.
- Churn in ice cream machine and add the choc chunks. Spoon mixture into an airtight container and freeze for several hours.
- Leave at room temperature for 5-10 minutes before serving.
Alcohol added to the recipe is to keep the ice cream from turning into a solid block.