This is an incredibly moist and dense chocolate fudge cake. The crumbs of the cake is tight and make the slicing easy. This cake is also good when fillingis used in between. I used chocolate ganache for the filling and topping. The frosting is also flavored with jamaican rum.
2 cups sugar
2 cups (8 1/2 ounces) All-Purpose Flour
2 tablespoons cornstarch
3/4 cup Double-Dutch Dark Cocoa or Dutch-process cocoa
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoons espresso powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
4 large eggs
3/4 cup vegetable oil
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 1/4 cups water
- Lightly grease, flour and parchment two 9 or 8 inch cake pan and make sure it is at least 2in tall.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine all the dry ingredients and whisk till combined. In another bowl combine the oil, egg, water and extract. Whisk slightly.
- Pour the liquids into the dry ingredients and beat till smooth and combined. ( I used a wire whisk and mix thoroughly)
- Pour onto the cake pans. Bake for at least 40 minutes and check for doneness with a skewer.
- Take the cake out and let it cool in a pan for 5 minutes and turn out onto a wire rack and cool completely.
Prepare the frosting for the filling and topping.
12 ounces semisweet chocolate
6 ounces cream (light, whipping, or heavy)
Heat until cream is very hot but not boiling. Pour into the chocolate and stir carefully till all is combined and chocolaty,
Add your flavoring ie. kahlua, rum, coffee flavor or just plain vanilla.
Cut your cake in layer. Fill with chocolate ganache and finally pour the ganache on top and let it drip. Move it to a cake platter and let sit inn the refrigerator till it is set.