Breakfast for dinner is my absolute favorite. Sometimes we even have pancakes with bacon and scrambled egg. Tonight I am making Kitchadi...its actually semolina dry fried and then cooked with mixed vege and served with dhal curry. My mother usually makes this as a easy breakfast and serves it with some sprinkle of sugar.
1 cup semolina
1 onion, finely chopped
1/4 cup peas (fresh or frozen)
1 cup mixed vegetables, chopped (carrots, potatoes and beans)
2 green chillies, chopped (adjust to taste)
1" piece ginger, grated
A few curry leaves
1/2 tsp urad dal
1/4 tsp mustard seeds
A few roasted cashewnuts to garnish (optional)
Coriander leaves, chopped, for garnish
2 tsp oil
Salt to taste
- Dry roast the rava in a pan until it turns a light brown (about 7-10 mins). Transfer to a bowl when done and set aside to cool.
- Heat oil in the same pan and add the mustard seeds, urad dal and curry leaves. When the dal turns golden brown and the mustard seeds splutter, add the onions, green chillies and ginger. Fry for 4-5 mins until the onions turns golden brown.
- Now add the peas and vegetables. Mix well. Add about 3 cups water and cook closed until the vegetables turn soft.
- Open, add salt and mix well. Then lower fire to sim and add the roasted rava little at a time, stirring constantly to avoid lumps. Continue to cook and stir for another 5 mins.
- Remove and serve hot with sambar.