Recently I went to the library and borrowed couple of cookbooks and saw this wonderful yet simple straight to the point cake recipe. As usual, I always like to try recipe's to see if they actually tastes as good as they look. This chocolate cake recipe is just as moist and delicious like the Hersheys chocolate cake. The cupcake was moist even after a day at room temperature. I made 2 different version; one is chocolate and another is Vanilla. Both are equally delightful. It can be baked and torted as cake.
Source: Confetti Cakes
Chocolate Cake ( 3 9inch pan, half sheet ( 13 x 18) or 24 cupcakes
2 2/3 cup Flour
1 1/4 cup Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
2 tbsp Baking powder
2 tsp Baking soda
1 tsp Salt
1 cup Sour cream or Yogurt
1 tsp Vanilla
1 tsp Almond Extract
1 cup unsalted butter
1 1/2 cup Sugar
1 1/4 cup Strong Coffee
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line the cupcake pan with baking liners.
- In a large bowl, sift all the dry ingredients and set aside.
- In a separate bowl, beat the butter and sugar till light and smooth. Add eggs one at a time. Beating well after each addition. Mix in a clean bowl, sour cream, vanilla and almond extract.
- Alternately add the flour and sour cream to the butter mixture in two batches. Scrape down the bowl after each addition. Gradually pour the coffee in, scrape down the bowl and beat until thoroughly combined.
- Divide the batter between the cake pan or muffin tin and bake for about 25 minutes for the cupcakes and check with a toothpick or until they spring back when touched lightly.
- Allow the cakes to cool before frosting.
Ingredients For vanilla Cake ( Makes 24 cupcakes, 3 9inch cake pan)
2 cups Cake flour
1 3/4 cup plus 1 1/2 tsp All purpose flour
2 1/4 tsp Baking powder
1 cup Unsalted butter
2 cups Sugar
3/4 tsp Salt
1 tbsp Vanilla
1 cup Egg whites or pasteurized egg whites in liquid form
1 1/2 cup Milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and line the bottom of the pan with parchment paper or if using the muffin tin, line with liners.
- In a large bowl, sift together the dry ingredients and set aside.
- In a bowl, combine the butter and sugar and beat on medium speed until light and fluffy. Add the salt and vanilla.
- Gradually add the egg whites, scraping often and beat till all is combined.
- Alternately add the flour mixture and milk to the butter mixture in two batches and beat until thoroughly combined. Divide the batter between the cupcakes or the cake pan evenly. Bake accordingly.
- Let the cake cool before frosting.