Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Cake for Fun


I had the most horrible day today.  I made two 6 inch cake which took me longer than usual to bake. Then when I was about to turn it to the wire rack..gosh it broke in half.  Then when I turned the other one, it broke again.  Gee, I was in trouble. I had to make another cake soon so that it can cool down for me to frost it .

Quickly going through the cookbooks that I have, came across this recipe from Martha Stewart so I decided to go ahead and make it.  Well, the cake came out perfect but then it came to frosting the cake to a perfection and then going over it with a paper towel to smooth it out. I also torte the cake and filled it with store bought bavarian cream. All this was getting to me, I was running out of time. Finally I made it through. Overall I think I came up with a pretty good cake despite what went on.

Source: Martha Stewart

Ingredients


12 tablespoons (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature, plus more for pans
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (spooned and leveled), plus more for pans
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 3/4 cups sugar
2 large eggs, plus 3 large egg yolks ( I used 4 whole eggs instead)
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 cup milk
1/4 cup raspberry preserves or Bavarian Cream

Bavarian Cream filling

Method


  • Preheat oven to 350 degrees, with rack in center. Butter two 8-inch round cake pans; line bottoms with parchment paper. Butter paper; dust with flour; tap out excess. In a large bowl, whisk flour, baking powder, and salt; set aside.
  • Using an electric mixer, in a large bowl, beat butter with 1 cup sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs and yolks, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add vanilla; beat until combined.
  • Alternately add flour mixture and milk, beginning and ending with flour mixture; beat just until combined. Divide batter between prepared pans.
  • Bake cakes side by side (not touching), rotating pans halfway through, until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 25 to 30 minutes. Cool in pans 10 minutes. Run a knife around edge of pans. Invert cakes onto a cooling rack; remove parchment. Cool completely, upside down. (Wrap in plastic, and store at room temperature, up to 1 day.)
Frosting

I made buttercream frosting with:

1 cup shortening
4 cups confectioner sugar
1 tsp clear vanilla
1 tsp almond extract
8 tsp water/milk

In a stand mixer fitted with paddle attachment, cream the shortening, vanilla and almond extract. Slowly add the powdered sugar and teaspoon's of water. Cream till it is smooth.





No comments:

Post a Comment